Ah... the much-maligned garter toss. To some brides this part of the wedding reception may seem unnecessary or even tack-ay. But for guests, it's highly-anticipated and a lot of fun to watch. Our opinion is that weddings can't be all rose petals and candlelight. Let your hair down and have some fun! Here are a few reasons NOT to toss the toss.
1) You're already dressed for it. Wedding garters are already part of the bride's ensemble. Even if you don't buy one for yourself, someone is bound to give you one at your wedding shower.
2) It's a chance to thumb your nose at tradition. Hundreds of years ago, garters were worn on both legs to keep a lady's stockings up and symbolized purity because the groom would remove them -presumably for the first time- on the wedding night. He would then toss the garters into the waiting crowd and everyone would clamor for them believing them to be good luck. Now, as a modern woman, you get to change this around and do it your way. My husband removed mine with his teeth. So much for creating an air of chastity.
3) Because you're bringing sexy back. Or at least bringing bawdy back. Have you heard the most popular garter toss songs? Take a look at this list compiled by Yahoo and you'll see what we mean.
1) Another One Bites The Dust - Queen
2) It's Raining Men - The Weather Girls
3) Oh Yeah - Yello
4) Mission: Impossible '88 Main Title - Lalo Schifrin
5) Some Guys Have All The Luck - Rod Stewart
6) Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites
7) Strip - Adam Ant
8) Maneater - Hall & Oates
9) I'm Too Sexy - Right Said Fred
10) You Can Leave Your Hat On - Ty Herndon
11) Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
12) Macho Man - Village People - Various Artists
13) Peter Gunn Theme - Henry Mancini
14) Do Ya Think I'm Sexy? - Rod Stewart
15) Can't Get Enough Of Your Love, Babe - Barry White
16) Bad To The Bone - George Thorogood
17) Legs - ZZ Top
18) The Stripper - David Rose
19) Bad Boys (The Theme From "Cops") - Inner Circle
20) Shameless - Billy Joel
4) Because - and this might be the best reason - there are so many frisky little garters out there to choose from. And don't forget to get one to keep and another to toss.
Something blue, mon chou?
Pretty in Pink
Think we're dead wrong to insist that you have a garter toss? Don't go away mad- tell us about it by clicking on comments!