By guest blogger Melissa Phillips
Event Coordinator & Owner of Simply Perfect by Melissa
Gone are the days of the taffeta nightmare paired with dyed shoes and a miserable bridesmaid. While bridesmaids should be a little overshadowed by the spotlight of the bride, they still deserve to look good and have fun!
These days, bridesmaids are tapping in to the hottest trends and Melissa Phillips of Simply Perfect by Melissa is showing off the best of these trends.
Bridesmaid trends to love:
1. Nontraditional bridesmaid dresses: One of the biggest complaints about being a bridesmaid dress is the cost (and look) of a single use dress. The wedding industry is seeing more maids wearing dresses from women’s retailers such as Ann Taylor, J.Crew and other boutique shops. These dresses can still be colorful, but they have cocktail feel. After the weddings, jewelry, belts, sandals, wraps, etc give the dress a whole new feeling.
2. Fun accessories: Bridesmaids are embellishing their dresses with trendy jewelry, floral pins, brooches, and feathers. Again, this breaks the mold of the traditional bridesmaid dress, and gives them some great new pieces to wear again.
3. Gift for the bridesmaids: The current trend involves less uniformity in gifts and more customization for each girl. Brides are putting individual thought into each of their girls and getting gifts that reflect something about that specific bridesmaid. This gives a much more personal and special touch to gift giving.
4. Metallic shoes: Dye-ables are going by the wayside…Bridesmaids are moving more towards a universal metallic shoe to compliment the dress and add to the accessories. Which is great because these shoes can be used long after the wedding.
5. Variation in bouquets: Vary up the look of the bridesmaid’s bouquet to add a twist to the overall look of the bridesmaids. Brides are choosing a variety of blooms from the blooms being used throughout, or switching up the colors using different shades or colors from the wedding color palette.
6. Smaller bridal parties: Brides are selecting fewer girls to keep their bridal parties smaller and more intimate.
Bridesmaids everywhere can quit groaning and start shopping with these trends in mind. The bridal party has changed gears to allow for way more fun and dresses and accessories that can be used for years to come.